Friday, January 15, 2010

First blog entry

I'm currently reading A Crack In The Cosmic Egg by Joseph Chilton Pearce. I've just now made it through the first chapter, and I've been reading it on and off for about a week. This book is quite possibly the toughest piece of literature I've ever read. If the subject matter weren't so abstract and interesting, I would most likely put the book down and opt for something lighter. This is my third attempt at this novel, and I'm sure I'll wind up putting it back on the shelf once the reading load for the semester picks up.


When I try to think of the latest good book I've read, the first one that comes to mind is Freakonomics by Levitt and Dubner. This book is what I would consider the polar opposite of the Pearce novel. I enjoyed this book thoroughly, and even found myself reading tidbits of the “Freakonomics” column on the New York Times online. The crazy correlations backed by empirical evidence were quite entertaining and warranted out loud laughter on a number of occasions.


Outside of textbooks, these are the last two books I've read, or in the case of A Crack In The Cosmic Egg, made an attempt to read. Reading websites, magazines and newspapers qualifies under a different kind of reading. Most of my reading comes from this alternate category. I don't consider Audiobooks as reading at all. Some would argue that this form of ingesting literature is more effective than the traditional method, but I would wholeheartedly disagree. I do enjoy listening to Audiobooks from time to time, but I find that I don't retain the material nearly as well.

2 comments:

The Mighty Kat said...

What's driving you to push through your current book? What is this fascinating subject matter?

linus said...

The driving force behind me making another attempt at this novel is the feeling of defeat I'm overwhelmed by each time I see it on my shelf. I challenged myself to finish the novel as opposed to start the fourth installment of Jeff Lindsay's "Dexter" series, but by the looks of it, this book is destined to rest on my shelf for at least another semester.

The subject matter deals with challenging the constructs of the mind and reality. It's an exercise in bending the common concepts of reality.